Chicken Baked In A Pumpkin Pot
- one medium pumpkin
- one 2 ½ pound chicken
- 2 cups fresh herbs to taste (rosemary, thyme, basil, scallions, sage, fennel)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Seasons spice blend, or pumpkin pie spice
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut a lid in the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and pith.
- Season chicken and pumpkin with salt and pepper. Don't be afraid to be generous!
- Throw herbs inside pumpkin and stuff chicken cavity with herbs. For extra flavor, use two fingers to lift the skin on the chicken breasts and thighs. Stuff herbs inside chicken so that they lay directly against the meat.
- Place seasoned chicken inside pumpkin.
- Add wine, paprika, garlic powder and Sweet Seasons spice blend to chicken and pumpkin. Drizzle with olive oil and replace lid. Secure the lid by sticking the pumpkin with wooden skewers.
- Add ½ inch of water to a roasting pan so the bottom of the pumpkin won’t burn. Place pumpkin in roasting pan and cook in 350 degree oven for 2 hours. Juices from the chicken should run clear as an indication that it is fully cooked.
- Serve chicken with wedge of pumpkin and drizzle with juice from the pumpkin.
UPDATE October 2013. I finally made it. But...I wasn't too impressed. For one, to cook it in the pumkin takes FOREVER. The chicken did have a lot of flavor. But...it wasn't a great recipe.