Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pizza in Korea and Germany.

Friday night is Pizza Night at our house.  No matter where we are.  Houston, Dresden and even in Seoul.  Especially in Seoul.

We've settle on Dominos, but we still buy Pizza Hut Pizza.  But if I had my druthers and if I could, I would buy German pizza from Calla Pizza.

When we first moved to Dresden and decided to order pizza, it was rather daunting.  We had flyers from various places around town.  A couple of places I called and simply asked "sprechen Sie English?" was met with "nein!" and then a hang-up.  Finally, I found a pizza house that could take our order in English.  Lucky for us we discovered the ease and beauty of ordering pizza online and we never looked back.

I still have a scan of the Calla Pizza flyer we got back in 2005.  I was stunned.  American pop culture finding its way to the old East Germany in the most bizarre way:



We settled on Calla Pizza as the go-to place to order delivery.

We never ate pizza from Pizza Blitz but I loved this front cover of their menu.


Freddy Fresh had some crazy menus, too.  I'll have to see if I can find them.

In the meantime here is a rather dated Calla Pizza commercial:


And now, in Seoul, we've found Pizza Hut and other franchise parlors have taken pizza to a new level.

Here in Seoul, trying to order delivery from the website, even in English was a little daunting.  At first, we would try to order delivery from Pizza Hut, but the Seoul address system is a little Byzantine.  We just couldn't figure out how to input our address.

So Pizza Night started with me ordering pizza for pickup.  The assigned store to our area was awkward to get to by bus, so I would walk down to the street, hail a cab and have it drop me off at the Pizza Hut.  Then I would try to catch another cab to take me home.  Sometimes it was easy.  Many times it was not. This had the effect of adding another $10 to the cost of the pizza.

Some of the pizzas...well..don't look like pizzas I've ever seen.  It's like South Korea took possession of The Pizza and made it its own.  So, here is a snapshot of Korean Pizza at Pizza Hut's website:


Now, they don't all look like this. They still sell the normal stuff, too.

Another chain named "Mr. Pizza" has some rather exotic pizzas as well:



I hope you're also paying attention to the hair-raising prices.  It's pretty close to 1,000 wan to $1.  So, the large Seafood Island would cost about $38.

Again, to my relief, Mr. Pizza also has the old standby Pepperoni Pizza for whimps like me.

Here's a Dominos Pizza Commercial in Korea:


The dancing you see in the Korean commercials is a little on the rigid side.

And a Pizza Hut Korea commercial for your enjoyment:



No comments:

Post a Comment