Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Left over recipe #1 turkey stew

In order to make use of this recipe, start off with the carcass of the turkey from the previous recipe I used to make the turkey, 

Ingredients:

1/2 the main carcass (the part with most of the herbs rubbed on it)
- All the veggie stuffing left over.
- leg bones
- wing bones
- McLib's Southern Dumplings or other noodle/dumplings
- Crock Pot

There were just too many parts of the leftover carcass that I couldn't waste.  During prep, the turkey cavity was rubbed with a wonderful array of herbs: parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and some pepper.  It was also stuffed with plenty of onions, celery, carrots and oranges. I just couldn't throw it away.

I took the carcass, stripped of most of the giant chunks of meat.  I broke the carcass in half.  One half was used in this recipe.  The other half was put in the freezer.  If there doesn't seem to be a lot of herbs hanging on the bones, you might want to add a bit more to the soup.

I put several cups of water in a crock pot, loaded the pot with the carcass, including the leg bones and wings.  then I added all the stuffing veggies.

Near the end of the cooking I added some dumpling noodles (McLib's Southern Dumplings) with some extra water.

There are a few things to watch out. I used the wings so you can imagine the short quills that I found in the soup.  There were also a few small bones.  I tried to pick them all out, but I missed a few. So just be careful.

It was a great stew/soup.  The family loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment